Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Activia

Roughly a week and a half ago, I went to the dentist. Turned out I had an infection (and also need a root canal and crown, but more on that another time). The dentist gave me a prescription for clindamycin, which I was not happy about. I should have told him I wanted something else, but I had a moment of patient submissiveness.

I already knew I was going to get the dreaded yeast infection. Every time without fail, taking an older antibiotic always does it. Newer ones I have no trouble with, but something about those old time 20 pills a day for 2 weeks 1960's relics my vagina hates. But I soldiered on, knowing what lay ahead.

I had seen these Activia commercials at least 300 times and I wondered. If they had better live and active cultures than regular yogurt, could my vagina be saved from a savage attack? I know the advertising claims and markets it as a digestive aid, but maybe, just maybe it could be helpful in another way. So off to Safeway and two eight-packs were purchased.

Being skeptical, I didn't expect it to work. I had eaten yogurt before with no results. And I whole heartedly refuse to use a more direct yogurt approach. Considering I am not convinced that it even is effective, it is probably one of the most unpleasant ways of dealing with the situation aside from the old style cream and applicator medication treatments. I mean in all seriousness, if you had the choice between shoving yogurt up your lady parts several times a day (which gravity dictates it would not stay up there for long, if at all) for several days or just wait for the infection to present and buy a one capsule Monistat treatment and all is settled in one mess free day... which would you prefer? That specific site also mentions lovely home remedies as inserting garlic into your vagina and most surprisingly, to douche. Which as any idiot (hippy or not) knows, is practically the worst thing you can do.

I have been eating 2-3 Activias a day for over a week now. And no infection. I am pleasantly surprised. I am not sure if it's because the way it is manufactured makes the cultures survive or if it's just a stroke of luck. But it does seem to work.

Activia tastes no different from regular yogurt, it is more expensive though. But if it works, I say it's worth the few extra dollars. Apparently some people are claiming to have drastic side effects in some internet forums, but I'm finding this hard to believe. It is after all, just yogurt. Odds are, your chest pain is from quite possibly the last 20 years of bacon and not a little cup of yogurt with a bit of naturally occurring probiotics you ate yesterday. Everyone has serious special snowflake reactions and side effects on the internet though. I have learned you can't listen to at least 9 out of 10 of these people.

So give it a try if you tend to suffer from yeast infections. I would say it would probably be most beneficial to take a supplement of acidophilius as well, but personally I can't be bothered to take more pills than I already do.

No comments:

Post a Comment